If you are running a SMB (Small and Medium-sized Business), you know that there are many challenges to facing your business. One of those challenges is how to stay ahead of cyber security threats. While many small businesses may think that they are too small to be a prime target of an attack, studies show that small businesses are just as likely to be attacked. The recent Kaseya breach shows that, as many of their MSP customer base are considered SMBs. And the sad reality is that 60% of SMBs will go out of business within 6 months following a cyber attack.
SMBs face 3 main challenges when it comes to cyber security. These include:
- Low cyber awareness
- Low budgets to address cyber security concerns
- A lack of cyber security expertise
When it comes to running their businesses, SMBs are experts at delivering their products or services to customers. Cyber awareness and cyber expertise though is something that isn’t innate in all business owners and it needs to be taught. While not everyone working at your business needs to become a cyber security guru, basic knowledge of phishing campaigns and business email compromise is one step to protecting yourself. Even better, finding budget to invest in technology to protect your business is crucial. Yes, there are some expensive options out there, but there are also some basic options that can help an SMB without breaking the bank. The same is true when it comes to hiring outside cyber security experts; there are also some low-cost options to bring in cyber security experts when you need them.
To address these challenges, your business should consider the following:
- Invest in an ongoing cyber awareness program.
- Invest in basic technology and processes like firewalls, anti virus protection, encryption and data backups.
- If you are unable to hire a dedicated cyber security resource, consider outsourcing to an MSSP (Managed Security Services Provider). By relying on an MSSP, it frees you up to focus on running your business, while someone else worries about managing the cyber security technology you’ve put into place.
Cyber security is challenging for many SMBs, but with the write cyber security partner, the challenges become more manageable and are less of a distraction for your business. To learn more, visit Uzado and find out how we can help SMBs like yours.