If you are running a business, you know that you need a team who can keep your security perimeter constantly updated against new and evolving threats around the clock. You have seen all the recent data breaches and successful hacking attacks in the news and know that you cannot afford to ignore major security guidelines.
But setting up an in-house Security Operations Centre (SOC) can be costly and a drain on resources. Instead of setting up your own SOC, how about hiring a Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) to provide you with a SOC to manage your company’s cyber security needs? Before you make that call, make sure your managed SOC will provide you with these 5 key things.
- Proactive detection of malicious network and system activity. You don’t want to wait the average 206 days it takes US companies to detect a breach. You want a SOC that will detect and alert to any anomalies immediately so you can respond immediately. The quicker the response, the quicker you can get your business back up and running and the less it will cost you.
- Threat awareness to adjust defenses before the threat hits you. Once your SOC determines what the threat is, they can plan a defence around thwarting it. The great advantage to having a MSSP manage your SOC is that they see the activity in your environment and their other clients’ environments. When a threat is discovered on one system, they can leverage this intelligence to proactively address on your system as well.
- Vulnerability management to see what may be vulnerable on your network to new threats before you get hit with them. This is a struggle for businesses of all sizes. IT departments often do not have the resources to address all the known vulnerabilities out there in a timely fashion. By having a managed SOC, they can focus on ensuring your systems are up-to-date with the latest patches. They have the resources to learn about all the different threats that come into the field every day, filter through them, and figure out what may or may not be a threat to your business.
- Awareness of hardware and software assets running on your network so you can be aware of developing threats to them. A good MSSP will take stock of every asset running on your network, including BYOD assets from staff. And they need to know this so that they are aware of any threats that can arise from these devices, plan for patches and for protection.
- Log management is a key component of any SOC. By managing the logs, it empowers the SOC team to make reasoned, informed investigations into activities on the network to determine their impact on security integrity and business continuity. These logs also help demonstrate compliance with cyber security standards and regulations. The logs can give you and any authorities the ability to complete forensics if you do incur an incident or breach. With more businesses suffering ransomware attacks, this log management is key to understanding how it happened.
Uzado’s managed services offerings provide all of the above and more to businesses looking to boost their cyber security and compliance needs. Equipped with subject-matter experts (SMEs) that specialize in specific security technologies, Uzado’s team will monitor and alert you when needed, allowing you to focus on running your business. To learn how Uzado’s managed SOC service can support your business’s goals, contact us today.